A while back I hit upon Ninja, a very fast
and very simple build system that is apparently used for building
Chromium. Can’t remember where I first heard of
it, might’ve been Hacker News or just
somebody’s tweet, but having been interested in build systems for years, at
least since setting up Linux builds from scratch for a big piece of software
while working on my M.Sc. thesis, I immediately started playing around with
By default, the excellent Vim editor doesn’t know what the filetype of
Gemfiles is (it’s
ruby, of course). I’ve been sprinkling Vim modelines in
mine for ages, but just now as I was hacking at my clone of
ticgit, I realized that it makes no sense to
sprinkle these onto other people’s code so liberally when I could just teach
Vim to Do The Right Thing.
Like many others before and after myself, I find myself having to use MS
Outlook in my daily work. Also like many, I loathe its style of quoting email
messages. Fortunately I use Exchange’s rather surprisingly good (as of the
2007 version) OWA web client, so with Firefox’s It’s All
Vim and some Ruby code, I can fix quoting in messages I’m replying to easily.
If for some inexplicable reason anybody would like to check out any of my software in Ubuntu, just add my PPA: $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ilkka/myppa There’s not much there but I’ll try to push releases there on a regular basis, to get a hang of the workflow if for nothing else. There’s also a snapshot ppa with, yes, snapshot versions, at ppa:ilkka/snapshot.
I’ve been experimenting with Qt Components recently, even though they are very much in a pre-alpha state. I think that QML together with the excellent PySide bindings holds great promise as a crossplatform environment for mobile app development, even more so than Qt + QML, since there’s no need to set up toolchains for compilation and linking. I’m hoping to write many apps in this manner, implementing ideas that I’ve had banging around in my head for a while now.
Having gotten archives working nicely, I decided to next tackle the task of creating a tag cloud for my blog. The Jekyll docs are, sadly, a bit ambiguous on how exactly to get at all the available categories, for example, but as with my archive plugin, I decided to go ahead and try out stuff until something workable emerged. With archive pages, all that needed to be done was to write a generator plugin to create more pages.
Note: Really there’s nothing about this article that is true any more. I’m now running Hugo. I’ve finally gone and done it, it seems, and started a blog that’s more focused than my previous attempts at Internet wordsmithery. No, wait, actually this blog is less focused, the previous one tried to be about my photography hobby. From the top, then: I’ve finally gone and… crud. Let’s not write one more of those posts.